Friday, June 10, 2005

Mount Kosciuszko

Yesterday, I was at Melbourne, the flight to Brisbane took approximately two hours. Nine days journey at South-East Australia has proven to be a refreshing break, good recharge before the Exam on next Saturday, 18 June. During the short trip, I had good fun reviewing the series of events happened over the recent years. I could have stayed in Brisbane and think quietly. However, the travel bug got better of me, bugging me for new explorations!


After the warm up trip at Grampian on 4th June, I proceed to Thredbo on the 5th. Thredbo is a little alpine town within Kosciuszko National Park. The park is named after a Polish military leader Thaddeus Kosciuszko (1746-1817). This park was important for summer cattle grazing until it was founded in 1944. The construction of the Snowy Mountains Scheme, a hydroelectric project completed in 1972, left an extensive road network that is now heavily used by tourists. Several large dams and lakes are associated with utilisation of the renewable energy, hydroelectric projects.

The broad shaped valleys around the main range are a result of glacial action during the ice ages and make for easy access to the Main Range which offers fantastic cross country skiing. Other interesting activities for the adventurous are challenging downhill runs, cycling on the steeper faces.

Kosciuszko National Park includes Australia highest mountain, Mount Kosciuszko at 2228 metres or 7,310 feet. It is the largest national park in New South Wales, Kosciuszko National Park extends 200km north to south, from Tumut to the Victorian border, encompassing an area of some 6500 square kilometres. The scenery includes almost all of the high country, with ten peaks above 2100m, forested valleys and a treeless plateau with glacial lakes, as well as the headwaters of Australia biggest river system.

Upon reaching the Thredbo, 1370 metres, I began my search for a shelter. Thanks to the helpful information counter, I manage to find the cheapest roof at $26.50 per night at YHA Thredbo. Appreciation of terrain started with visual followed by foot recce to the start point of Merittius Track. While there were patches and snow and ice on the slope and rivers, I was pretty lucky as the route to the summit seem cleared. I foresee little or no difficulties all the way up 1900metres.

On 7th June, I proceeded with the walk up the mountain at 0730hrs. The sky cleared slowly as the surrounding air is picking up speeding. After close to two hours walk, I was at 1900metres point. It was there and then that I realised the chair lift for skiing operates!? Nevertheless, I did not regret walking. I felt more relax when I saw the 6.5km route ahead was cleared. As I was at higher elevation, the ears and fingers staged a demonstration that they are feeling numb.

I fasten my pace on the plateau, and breathed Australia highest air at 2228 metres at 1055hrs. I enjoyed myself on the summit, looking at the surrounding peaks for 35 minutes. I saw more people while I was making my descent. Smarter people who discover using the chair lift is a better deal compared to waking up early.

While I was walking toward the chair lift, the wind relaxed its pace, and I started see more blue components at up above. As time is on my side, I decided to take a longer 9 km descent track. I began an expert taking self-portrait making use of the granites and stretching my left hand faraway. Suddenly, I felt a strong sense of respect to the Taiwanese ladies who are capable of making ten different postures and expressions for taking Neo-print. Proud that I even know some female friends who have the similar talent too!

I started thinking about the 13 hours bus ride excluding the two hours transiting Canberra. During the progress of brainstorming what should I do after I "met five people in heaven" (Mitch Albom), I grabbed two copies of outdated National Geographic accidentally. I thought it would be interesting to learn about how Swedish were forced to open the door of Finland to the German. Like the Thais did to Malaysia and Singapore during World War 2. Other captivating news about Africa, Tibet makes me ponder more about the world political issues like the chances of States "Liberating" North Korea when the poor country can not offer a drop of oil.


There were many other issues that I thought was pretty fun to probe. Like
Why do human travel?
When would men fight/kill each other?
How much money a man/woman need to be happy?
What is the difference between facial and shower gel?

Kia-Ora!
Chee Meng
10th June 05

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home