Friday, September 16, 2005

Issue 4: Gold Coast of South Africa


After ten
hours of driving with shifts, petrol, toilet and lunch break, Karen and me reached Durban (South Africa third largest city) just before 2100hrs. Durban is a city with population in excess of 2.5 million. Though it is the largest city of Kwazulu Natal Province, it is not the Province Capital. The capital of the province is called Pietermaritzburg and it is located centrally. Kwazulu Natal literally means Place of People from Heaven.

Staying in a self sufficient apartment called "The Palace" did not make me a king. In fact, I was thought to be Karen’s travel MAID! Nevertheless, I enjoyed the spectacular sunrise view and sea breeze of Indian Ocean everyday. I have a lot of free time everyday when Karen attended her International Surgical Conference. It was in the city that I got to check E-mails and read about facts of South Africa more regularly.

South Africa is one of the top 30 richest countries (in term of GDP). Interestingly, South Africa is rich but the unemployment rate in the country is relatively high at close to 30%. Think about Singaporeans complaining when the unemployment rate of our mother land was at 4% previously.

Crime rate is high and personally I think it is not a very safe country for solo female travellers. In 2003, there were 52000 reported rape case. About one woman was assaulted every 23sec and one in two ladies was raped at least once in her life time!! For guys, young men aged between 16 to 29 were likely to be shot. The cause for the death due to penetrating wound is probably second to AIDS. About 4.5millions of the 48millions population are affect with AIDS!! I hope all the statistics had improved over the last two years.

Ironically, it is the high penetrating trauma rate for Karen’s conference to be held in South Africa. I never thought of visiting the country that lies below the tropics of Capricorn if Karen had not been tempting me with the free lodging at Durban. My routine in the city was simple, I need to send and pick Karen up from Durban International Conference Centre, prepare breakfast and dinner everyday. Do you understand why I was thought to be “MAID” instead of “Mate”?

Nevertheless, I think of this country as a safe destination with little "travellers' common sense". I would suggest few the following preventive measures.
Please do not to cover your face with a tourist map.
Never flash money or hang camera around neck in the public.
Put your money at diff
erent places. If there is no need for you bring all the money out from the hotel, don’t do that.
Never brave beyond the travellers’ territories.

While Durban is the busiest port of Africa, ninth busiest in the world. There are nice surf and good beaches. I was happy to brave the surf of Indian Ocean (part of my morning routine) with many other travellers who supported the growth of hotel industry. The fourth Holiday Inn was built along the touristy part of the coastline.

Keep Exploring New Ground!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home