Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Second Week at Munich

During my stay at Munchen, there is a lady who has been updating me all the running sessions my Singapore mates had. I thank Kee Leng during one of my E-mails to her. I appreciated that as her mail kept me from slacking. Below is the poem Kee Leng shared after one of the hill run… I hope she doesn’t mind I posted that without asking her for copyright?

>>> Some of the "Happy Feet"


hills run

as we stepped out of the air-conditioning
and headed towards the dark woods ahead
songs of crickets greeted us.
the air is clean and crisp
steady pattering of feet, 12 to be precise,
broke the silence of the cool refreshing night..


cruising by lovers, oblivious to the buzyness around them
basking in the soft moon rays
that shone through the lightly overcast sky
amidst soothing sounds of waters
as it gently transforms waves into bubbles
against the beautiful backdrop
of the glittering southern isles
feel the breeze and everything nice...


once again, we find ourselves on the familiar winding path
that will eventually lead us up to the highest point down south
taking in the splendid view of the our little island home
thoughtful reflections shimmering
on the road still wet from rain in the morning..


a stranger clapped when we passed by him and gal
strolling hand in hand
on the final stretch of road we cheered each other on
one by one, as we reached the end.


we made it.. though just six of us
clarence, joseph, keith
kee leng, ivy and charles
we completed hills run yet another round..


Below is my reply to her poem (I edited some info)

Hi everyone!

First of all... special thanks to Kee Leng. Her regular update makes me feel, I am not very far from Singapore. Is running with Ivy that inspiring? Or... so S-L----O-----------W that she has time to think of a peom? (Please dun start a war, colleague)

Anyway, I ve been doing my run at Munich. Nevertheless, I dun do more than 10km. With three runs a week, I cover ard 20km weekly. The sun is on overtime, she wakes up earlier and rest late every night. I kinda like that... esp when I knock off at 7pm, the route to train station is always bright and clear.

I dun hear crickets during my run, the lovers were always busy "Frenching", and the only ppl who would react to a mad mad running in singlet and shoes are those who r walking their dogs. As I only do my run in the morning, there's only a pair of "Happy Feet" bounding and pounding on the road toward Siemens Centre or Marienplatz (Munich City centre).

Unlike U guys, my interval is never on a regular distance. I only start sprinting when I see the traffic light turn green 20m ahead. I am learning to be a good Nazi, I will not start WW3 with my colleague, neither would I beat the traffic light... During my runs, my eyes are always busy. I am not looking for beautiful gals running, becos there is really not much sweet gals here. I look for something that is important to me... I watch out for street name and train station (so that I know how to orientate myself back to my hotel), shops and restuarant (so that I dun where to shop and eat).

My weekend was spent at Salzburg, Austria. U dun find kangaroo nor koala at Austria. I went to Füssen and screwed the photo taking session for the second time. Kee Leng says the castle looks magical at night. I would probably go for the third time... maybe I would see witches flying instead of ppl paragliding next time…

Happy training in Singapore.

Smile...
Chee Meng


I went to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, near Füssen, during my second weekend. Due to some restrictions, I did not go there the week before. Located at around 130km South West of München. Garmish-Partenkirchen is one of the ski resorts near München. As the name suggested, the town is divided into two parts, Gamarish the new town and elderly Partenkirchen which was at south Germany since Roman times.

"triangle with a dot in the middle"


The two town combined into in 1935 by Adolf Hilter in anticipation of Winter Olympics which was held there in 1936. During the Olympics, Alpine skiing was introduced for the first time. I shall called the combined town Garmisch like what the most Germans did..

On Germany map, there is a marking, "triangle with a dot in the middle", near Garmisch. 2962metre is indicated next to the triangle. These symbols identified Germany highest mountain, Zugspitze.


Looking at Garmish from Cable Car


While the journey to Garmisch is scenic, the cable car ride from Garmisch to Zugspitze is breath-taking. Cable car is probably the fastest means to Zugspitze. The cost for traveling from Garmisch to Zugspitze is 32Euro/adult if you can produce the Bahn ticket to Garmisch. Else it would be 37Euro for adults.


Looking at Garmish and Cable Car from Zugspitze



Though the sky wasn’t 100% clear on Saturday, we can see most places within 10km from summit. Lake Ebisee looks pristine from an altitude 2000metres higher. Temperature registered at 1degree C while we were exploring different corners of view mall.


Garmish from Zugspitze




Ski Equipment at SonnAlpin Ski Resort

After spending about an hour on summit, we proceeded to Germany highest ski field, Sonnalpin Resort. Aw may not be a snow mountain person. He is always sporting. Simon went a little wild. Both were racing toward our battle ground as I was busy taking photo.


Aw and Simon racing toward "battle zone"


Aw, Simon and I agreed touching, playing and fighting on snow denoted the best part of our traveling. I am pretty thankful for going to Garmisch instead of visiting the Swiss Alps. As Simon and Aw don’t climb, I don’t see much different with playing the snow at Garmisch and that at Aigle or Matterhorn? We played 2 against 1, 1 against 1, against all and with ourselves while we were on snow.



Lotsa casual photo were taken with melting snow in the shoes and under the jacket... Thankfully, no snow went under my pants.


Prost!!

We went to Ebisee Lake after having doing our German “Prost”.



A couple at Ebisee Lake



Sunset at Garmisch-Partenkirchenimon Station

Aw was tired as we were playing card during our train ride back München. I am happy becos I kept winning and loser distribute cards.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home