Saturday, September 17, 2005

Issue 6: Cape of Good Hope

If only I had more time, I would not take the flight from Durban to Cape Town. There is a “Great Ocean Road” at South Africa named the “Garden Route”. If only I have the opportunity to visit South Africa again, this will be in one of the must do list.

Cape Town is the province capital of Western Cape with 4.2 million people, equivalent to Singapore. I met Aubrey at Cape Town International Airport and stayed with him for four nights. Once again I need to thank Aubrey, a Zambian friend I known in Brisbane. He played the host so well that I am unsure if I can do the same for him when he comes to Singapore next Feb with his wife. I would certainly try my very best.

I went to University of Cape Town for a little visit, the day I arrived. The university just celebrated 175 year anniversary last year. Cape Town is one of the few cities that enjoy mountain soaring above 1000metres as back drop. Another city that I can remember having the privilege is Hobart with Mount Wellington. With such a prominent landmark, it is useful for sailors’ navigation.

On 2 Sep 05, Aubrey, Karen and me headed South to Cape of Good Hope after checking weather for the day. It is always more interesting to visit a country with a local. I gained knowledge of the place and view of people living in the country. Cape Town and water near Cape of Good Hope used to be an important harbour that the Dutch and British used to fight for the rights for using it. A battle was conducted in 1795 at Muizenberg before the opening of Suez Canal. Who won the battle? Check your answer or guess at

http://www.southafrica-travel.net/westcape/cape_05.htm


The bay that stretched from Muizenberg to Simon’s Town is called "False Bay". During the early years, ships coming from the east would stop in this bay mistaking it to be Table Bay. It would be very “exciting” if a merchant ship tried to dock in Navy harbour? We stopped for lunch at Simon’s Town. Simon’s town is home for South Africa Navy now and the last railway stop.

We stopped at another important tourist landmark, the Boulders. It is the home for about three thousands African penguins which started with two breeding pairs in 1982. Do you think the penguins are master of breeding? Well… the breeding of African penguins can only happen if human stop uncontrolled harvesting of penguin eggs. Think again, there were 1.5 million African penguins in 1910, by end of 20th century, only 10% of the original number remains.

There is an interesting fact that is shared by both Navy ship and penguin. Do you know why are all Navy ships painted grey, and why the penguins refuse to take off the black and white tuxedo?

The answer is “CAMOUFLAGE”.

We reached Cape Point at close to 3:30pm. Many people including me used to think Cape Point is the place where Indian Ocean and Atlantic Ocean meet. Even the restaurant at waterfront of Cape Town would suggest Cape Town is the place where the two Oceans meet. I think the mistake has commonly accepted.

How do Scientist or Geologist determine and name these Oceans. How are boundaries drawn? I used to watch a documentary about how the sharks did a migration from India all the way to South Africa. The sharks would automatically make a turn back to India before reaching Cape Town. How did these sharks do that? Did the sharks follow the curry smell of Indian Ocean back home?

If you had watched “Finding Nemo”, you would probably know about the famous EAC or Eastern Australia Current. The movement of all current are determine by Mother Nature. The official meeting place for the two Oceans is at Cape Agulhas, which is about 300km south-east-east from Cape Point. Water from Indian Ocean is warmer at 20c, faster at 90-230km/day and more powerful, transporting 80 million m3 of water per second. For Atlantic Ocean, Bengula current is cooler at 14c, slower at 16-40km/day and transport 15 million m3 of water per second.

We saw another big bird that does not fly when visiting the Cape of Good Hope. Actually, there was not too much good hope. There are a lot of ship wrecks near the Cape. Sailors centuries ago need an effective charm to cross the little cape, for India, South East Asia and China.

Day three at Cape Town was spent at District Six Museum and Table Mountain. Everyone knows South Africa is a relatively young nation. The first president was chosen by people of South Africa in 1994, Mr Nelson Mandela. District Six is an interesting museum, it was opened by the people who used to stay in District Six.

District Six was a large compound that the Blacks, Whites and what the Whites labelled “Coloured”. Being a Chinese, I am proud with my colour, please call me “Yellow”. Haha… Well… I thought we should all be addressed as Earth-ings. Interactions between nations have brought cultures beyond five oceans and seven continents. Nevertheless, I have to admit racism is real and will always be around. Ghandi, Father of India, has been fighting for rights of human almost 100 years ago. Do you know Ghandi actually spent a majority of his life in South Africa? He was greatly inspired to retaliate and fight in a peaceful manner, when he was denied public transport meant for the whites only.

I am always glad to have a lady with me when I need to do some shopping. With Karen around, I purchased the presents for some friends. I sincerely apologise to those I who I met empty-handed. Green market of Cape Town is the place for some tourist souvenirs, the art of bargaining should be put into good practice.

Ascend to Table Mountain was conducted in a touristy manner. While there are up to 300 established route to the table top. Karen and me choose to tackle the mountain in less than ten minutes using the cable car! The rationale for using the expensive mode of transport (110 Rands return) is to view Cape Town and beyond before the table cloth covers the mountain. Sadly, we spent quite some time in the souvenir shop on top table top.



On 4 Sep 05, we visited Robben Island, the infamous prison where Mr Nelson Mandela and many influential political members of South Africa spent their time in. If South Africa is as racist as it was twenty years ago, I probably would not visit the country. It is at Robben Island that I learnt the importance of international effort in a making of a country. While thanking Mr Mandela for holding fast to the "dream" against racism in South Africa, I shall not forget to wish MM Lee K Y of Singapore a happy belated birthday. Sorry Sir, I am about two hours late.

Departed Cape Town on 5 Sep.

Kia-Ora!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home