Friday, September 16, 2005

Issue 5: Dragon Mountains

Drakensberg is also known as Dragon Mountains. Locating at the KwaZulu Natal (KZN) Province, the highland is probably the where “People from Heaven” came from? On 26 Aug, Karen and me departed Durban at 0530. Karen started driving, but she did not last the drive because “Queen Elizabeth” kept summoning her back to sleep. I took over the last leg, the car was park at Bushman’s Nek. We were then transported to the Sani Pass Backpackers which about 5km away from the start point of Giants Cup trail. A prearranged transfer brought us to Sani Lodge Backpackers.

After gathering some information from Sani Lodge Backpackers and Sani Pass Hotel, we were offered a free ride by people of Sani Lodge Hotel to the start point of the 60km track. I am very touched by the good service and grateful for the free map that covered half the track. I would feel extremely uncomfortable to start any trail without a map.

Day one of the track began at about 1230hrs. As we started the trekking late, we did not see other trekkers along the 13km scenic track. Walking at altitude from 1500m ASL to less than 2000m ASL was very comfortable. We reached the Pholela Hut in Cobham Reserve within five hours.

Well…. I thought I have come to the stage that I don’t really like to plan my trips. I prefer to be spontaneous to changes. It would be good to have some ideas of what is going on before every journey. My preference is to make decisions on the ground. I was thankful Karen understood that, when I “destroyed” her plan. I kind of combined day two track with day three accidentally. We skipped the Mzimkhulwana Hut in Cobham Reserve for Winterhoek Hut in Garden Castle.

The walk on 27 Aug was eventful, it was a black day for me as I dislocated my left shoulder for the first time while tried to make a rock climb pose. Sadly, the photograph did not turn out the way I want it to be. I would rate the level of pain at 6 on my “Ouch-meter”, the pain impaired some of my moment. Thankfully, it is left not right shoulder again. I had been trying to keep my right shoulder intact since I drop it some three years ago. I was able to write to Chloe and Choy Ping telling them life is never too bad even you change your job. I had to inform Joanne I can not commit the technical climb at Naya Kanga, Langtang, Nepal. There was an interesting saying, “Life is 10% how yo make it, and 90% how you take it.” I could never agree more.

Day three walk was pretty relax, we reached Swiman Hut in Garden Castle in less than six hours. Swiman Hut is probably the best hut along the trail, the mountain setting around the region is beautiful. Sunken valley is located at the South East while Castle Garden is at the North West. Karen said she would become a song composer or a poet if she could stay Swiman hut longer. My life was spared as she did not see my toes laughing. However, a little mishap happened when I tried to set fire using the spare petrol from my MSR. I “arson” some hair and eye lashed when the lighting up the wood at the fire place within the hut. Having some burnt some hair was not a big issue, but some of my eyelashes curled after exposed to intense heat. This posed a problem when blink to moisturise my eyes. The top and bottom of the eyelashes would interlock, keeping my eyes open was uncomfortable.

29 Aug 05 began with a beautiful sun rise. Instead of heading off to Bushman’s Nek, we left our backpack in Swiman Hut and did a side trail to Sleeping Beauty Cave. There was no sleeping beauty, but the cave is definitely there. We had our lunch and proceeded with the track. The memory for the CF card was running low, so was my film.

For more information on Giant’s Cup Trail and other track at Drakensberg, please check out

http://drakensberg.kzn.org.za/drakensberg/

http://www.ecotravel.co.za/Guides/Reserves/Drakensberg/Activities/Giants_Cup_Hiking_Trail.htm

http://www.drakensberg-tourism.com/drakensberg-hiking-trails.html

After the trek, we returned to Sani Lodge Backpackers. There was something I liked about this lodge. There were two cats during my stay! Cats appeared around 30millions years ago, the primitive carnivores are commonly known as “Miacids”. They evolved to three main species – European wild cats, African wild cats and Asiatic desert cats. Domestic cats are believed to be part of African wild cats, due to the tabby markings.


Karen was against me buying cat food for the two cats. I’d encourage feeding of the cats. There was an interesting story about Prophet Muhammad and his cat, Muezza. The Prophet found his beloved pet asleep on the sleeve of his robe when the call for prayer was sound. Instead of waking up the cat, the Prophet cut off his sleeve. When He returned, Muezza bowed in thanks to Him, Muhammad was guaranteed a place in Heaven. Think about it, the Prophet went to heaven when he did not disturb the cat. I bought cat food for not one but two cats! I should have at least two express tickets for redemption.

When I was studying at Brisbane, Benny, Valerie and me often go for short trips leaving behind the two cats. We could do that because unlike dogs, cats could ration food. If one is interested with a budget stay at Sani Pass area, please go to Sani Lodge. For booking and more information go to http://www.sanilodge.co.za/. Do remember to feed the cats if they are still there. For better service with higher budget, I would highly recommend Sani Pass Hotel, http://www.sanipasshotel.co.za/.

With the kind assistance from Sani Pass Hotel, we managed to “burn” 512MB of photo into CD. Karen and me gathered some information on Sani Pass, gate way to Lesotho, from Underberg. If Drakensberg means Dragon Mountains, I guessed Underberg probably mean under the mountain? We needed a 4WD transport to cross from South Africa border to Lesotho border, the day tour to Sani Pass and Africa Highest Pub would cost 220Rands (S$1 = R3.88). After some careful considerations, we decided to cross the 8km no men land with our legs and trekking pole.

I am pretty glad we made the choice of driving to South Africa Border and walk to Lesotho to collect the stamp on my passport... This gave me the flexibility of stopping and looking at rocks and flowers whenever I wanted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home